I'm a student interested in studying abroad in Israel. How safe is it?

How safe is it to study abroad in Israel?

In light of recent events, I have seen many people asking if going to specific areas in Israel is safe. When I was getting ready to study abroad in Israel back in 2014, I asked myself the same question. The Israel-Gaza Conflict had erupted. My friends had friends that were directly impacted in areas like Ashkelon. I was scared so I pushed back my program and decided to go in January the next year.
Even when the conflict had quelled I was hesitant and remember being scared. But after deep deliberation, I decided to go. I didn't know what to expect. I'm not Jewish, I'm not Palestinian. I'm a Mexican-American that grew up in So Cal so what did I know. Even though I had taken courses on Israel, the conflicts, and religion I wasn't prepared. Books and reality are two different things. Books offer the convenience of comfort. 

PROPERTY OF MARISOL FERNANDEZ
At the Jerusalem Municipality


When I finally got to Jerusalem I realized there was nothing to be scared of. All kinds of people live in Jerusalem and they don't allow fear to control their lives. I lived on Givat Tzarfatit in the Student Village, right next to Hebrew U. The university is full of students from all parts of the world and all walks of life. Jewish-Israelis, Palestinian-Israelis, Druze-Israelis, Bedouin-Israelis, Circassian-Israelis, non-Israeli Druze, non-Israeli Palestinians, and international students. The university is literally a 5-minute walk from East Jerusalem. The Mount Scopus campus oversees the walled Issawiya village. I spent a lot of time in East Jerusalem mainly because everything is much cheaper there than in West Jerusalem. I usually NEVER felt scared even when walking down Wadi al Joz at night. The only time I ever felt scared was once when I ran into a fiery Haredi protest on my way to Shuk HaBukharim.

PROPERTY OF MARISOL FERNANDEZ
Standing on the Mt. of Olives, overlooking the Old City


For 6 months I lived the typical life that I would live in California without fear even though very often there would be car ramming attacks near the university down by the light rail station. I did have a difficult time adjusting to Israeli society; things like Shabbat, the high cost of living, and that Israeli Chuzpah. I became accustomed to metal detectors everywhere I went. After all, I passed through one every morning to enter campus.

While I was living in Jlem I traveled to the West Bank frequently. I crossed checkpoints and rode the Arab buses. I even traveled there soon after the Palestinian boy was shot by an Israeli soldier near Jenin. I left in June and there was an increase in stabbing attacks. Nevertheless, I returned the next summer. And I wasn't scared for my life. I was more scared of being discriminated against due to the color of my skin and my facial features. It had happened to me twice while I was living in Jerusalem and I was afraid it would happen again.

PROPERTY OF MARISOL FERNANDEZ
The Wall by the Kalandia Checkpoint


But life in Haifa was very different. I did the Arabic intensive program at the University of Haifa and I had a blast. I fell in love with the city.

In sum, if you're afraid to travel or study abroad in  Israel because of all the controversy and conflict- you shouldn't be. There's a higher chance of getting hit by a car in the USA than getting attacked in Israel. If you have any questions you can leave them in the comments. I'm happy to talk to anyone about my experiences or about any technical stuff like how to obtain a RavKav.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The P and I Words...

Sombreros and Poison

It's Only at 70 Years that a Saguaro Blooms for the First Time